The exhibition which opens our 2018 programme is:
From Douai to Downside.
This exhibition tells the story of how a community of Benedictine monks came to live in the heart of Somerset.
It includes objects, photographs and letters from significant moments in Downside’s history, such as a seventeenth century map, a portable altar used by one of the monks in the Boer war (South Africa, 1880/81), and original photographs showing the building of Downside.
Downside Abbey archivists, Stephen Parsons & Frances Bircher, trace the history of the community from its foundation in Italy in the 6th century AD through to the present day.
The exhibition shows all aspects of this history together with the changes in lifestyle from the earliest times to the present day.
Runs from February 1st until April 30th.
Coming soon: May 1st until August 31st.
Radstock Cooperative Society celebrates 150 years of local trading: 1868 – 2018.
The Museum is curating and hosting a special exhibition, with support from the RadCo team, who are eager for people to come forward with their memorabilia of photographs, artefacts, stories and personal accounts.
(But apparently no milk bottles: we have plenty already!!!!!)
Please contact Nalda Morrissey at the Coop: Tel: 01761 430219
Or email email@example.com for the latest info on bringing things directly to the Museum.
We need to know about your contributions by March 30th.
Back to What’s On at Radstock Museum